Senior developer, backend developer, backend engineer, django developer, django engineer
At Kindaba, we are building the future of communication for families. What we build is used by thousands all over the world, and needs to be scalable to meet the need of millions. From infrastructure efficiency, to developing fun, engaging new features, the backend infrastructure is critical to Kindaba’s success.
We’re hiring a senior backend engineer to help us make the future of social possible. This is a role that depends on a broad set of skills, deep knowledge of how backend decisions affect millions of users, comfort in asking questions and learning, and flexibility. Our ideal candidate is comfortable with leadership of others and has excellent communication skills (through Zoom and Slack).
The person in this role will work closely with other backend engineers as well as the Technical Lead as well as alongside other engineers and the design and non-product teams. We encourage cross team engagement and this person will have opportunities to participate in design sprints, and direct customer interaction.
- Leading development of our back-end architecture in Django which interfaces with our React Native front-end.
- Responsible for planning and execution of backend implementation to support new features and improvements
- Ongoing improvements to our existing infrastructure focusing on performance and scale
- Strong knowledge and comfort with Python/Django and back-end API best practices, Object-relational mappers, multi-process architecture, databases (PostgresSQL), and RESTful APIs
- Comfortable setting up Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment pipelines with GitLab/Jenkins, Kubernetes and Docker
- You love asking questions and getting to the bottom of issues
- You are confident leading technical architecture discussions and working in an agile environment
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, customer happiness, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- Experience with AWS infrastructure
- Proud of efficient code that maximises performance
- Understand the challenges of scaling
- Experience with testing APIs (unit, integration, end to end) to ensure quality
- Knowledge about video and images processing
- Knowledge about websockets based chat and notifications
- Experience with Google Cloud infrastructure
Working with us
- We believe exceptional work is about adopting a mindset of continuous learning, being comfortable with failure, openness and vulnerability. We practice radical candor and provide a supportive environment and encourage everyone to challenge assumptions. We have a no-blame culture where everyone’s ideas have merit
- We’re remote positive. We believe you’re best placed to understand how you work best, and we have resources available to help you work when and where you want. We find that +/- 4 hours from Edinburgh (UK standard time) works best
- We believe communication is vital for exceptional work. We have daily video standups, open calls, and 121s where you meet and build relationships with every member of the team. We have two all-company off-sites per year. These activities help us to build a strong and supportive workplace culture
- We believe that exceptional work is supported by personal and professional development and encourage the team to take advantage of coaching, training, and event opportunities as part of Kindaba
- We value flexibility and are willing and eager to make changes and provide adjustments to empower you to do your best work. From nontraditional work hours to working while travelling, to job-sharing, we are happy to be flexible to empower you to do your most exceptional work
- Benefits include access to coaching, 35 days of holiday, private health and travel insurance, working with a team who are passionate about making a global impact, ownership of your work and flexibility in ways of working
- We use platforms like Slack and Zoom to stay in touch, work, and build relationships
- We are applying for a Tier-2 sponsorship License to facilitate international applicants for UK-based roles
Kindaba is the gathering space for families all over the world. By using Kindaba, everyone’s connected with a safe, fun, simple, visual, intelligent messaging experience. Quickly share family photos, discuss the big game, or celebrate a new arrival. Kindaba makes it simple to keep those who matter most close.
In research mode for the last year, Kindaba is ready to share what we’ve been building with the world. Already, it’s used by thousands of people across the globe helping hundreds of families stay connected. We’re building a social impact company that values high growth and high levels of social impact. From helping to train and find employment for Refugees and Asylum Seekers, to providing free training and workshops to help people of all ages stay safe online, social impact is central to what we do. Kindaba is based in Edinburgh, and are a remote-positive company with members of our team across multiple time-zones.
Women, LGBTQI and people of colour among others are under-represented in tech. We believe that diversity is strength and we offer a culture and opportunities to make inclusivity the norm. As a team we are inclusive and encouraging of differences, and flexible in how, when, and where we work. We value a willingness to learn and develop, vulnerability, and radical candor.
Help build something world-changing at Kindaba.