We were really sad to learn this morning that Path is shutting down. Path has been one of the most recognisable names in private social networking, and we are big fans of the work they’ve done to make it easy for private social networks to exist.
Although Kindaba is different to Path, we’ve been inundated with requests for more information about what we’re building. Path users asked us to build a tool to save their Path memories and upload them to Kindaba. It’s now live. The team at Kindaba want to do all we can to help Path users decide if Kindaba is right for you and your family.
Kindaba is a private sharing space for families and for those who are just like family. We’re still early on our journey, and are launching publicly this fall.
Right now, we have a beta proof of concept app available, but it doesn’t yet have everything it’s going to. Our launch app is still in testing (sign up to hear when it’s ready!).
We’re building Kindaba into a visual intelligent messenger for families. As a company, we’re a team of 8, have been working on the platform since January of 2017, and are based in Edinburgh, Scotland and around the world.
We’re a social impact company and believe in profits with purpose.
We’re also privacy conscious, and have no ads, and don’t sell any user data. You can read more about us here.
What We’re Not
It’s important to note that there are some differences between Kindaba and Path:
- We’re early stage: Our app is simple, and doesn’t have as many features as Path does. We’re still early in our journey
- We’re primarily built for families: We consider family to be those who matter most to you. Many of our features are built around sharing content with close contacts rather than just having a private social network
- We don’t have a public option: You won’t have Path’s ‘Explore’ feature, as you’re not publicly searchable on our platform
- There are no plans for us to introduce buying and selling through the platform
- Right now, Kindaba is only available in English. We hope to add more languages soon
Moving to Kindaba
We’re working on an import solution just for Path users. It should be ready to use soon. In the meantime, enter your email here and we will tell you when that is ready:
While you’re waiting, you can do the first step and download your data from Path.
- Log into Path on a web browser
- Navigate to https://path.com/settings/backups
- Enter your email address and press ‘Send the request’
- In 5-10 minutes you’ll receive an email from Path with a download link. Tapping on this link will download a ZIP file containing your Path Photos and Posts that you have created.
Once we have our import tool ready, you’ll need this file so we can backup and import your data. It’s also really important for you to save this file in a safe place.
In the meantime, please feel free to say hello! Write to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about what we should build next into the platform. And if you’d like to share with others who are also interested in all things Family and Technology, we’d love to invite you to join our FamTech community where we share news, talk over tough questions and support each other on this digital parenting journey.